Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Reading - Food for the Soul

Jaded! Need to enrich my mind and soul soon. Seems like I have not read a decent book for ages!

Snow:
I friend lent me "Snow" by Orhan Pamuk. At first glance, it seems to revolve around 'dirty politics'. Slowly, it unravels the reality of humanity and survival of an oppressed state. Preliminary verdict - a promising read although not really my cup of tea; I think My Name is Red is better (but I've just read the first few chapters... patience).

In addition, I am one who has a penchant for foreign language... somehow find the learning of a new foreign language appealing (when I was young, I contemplated becoming an Interpreter - err no, not the likes of Nicole Kidman as in the movie, I wish, ha!) hence getting the opportunity to learn a little bit of Kurdish language from the book helps keep me going...

Nonetheless, below are books that suit my fancy more:-

At First Sight:
Being a fan of Nicholas Sparks, I hope to grab his latest novel, "At First Sight", asap! This a follow-up sequel of "True Believer" and did I ever tell you that the character, Jeremy Marsh, is a 'hunk'?! ;P

Blow Fly/Trace/Predator:
I've always loved any intelligent thriller by Patricia Cornwell. Unlike Dan Brown, who could potentially be a one-hit man (not literally of course, just that his best novel is ONLY Da Vinci's Code.. the rest, as I read them, are ... blah!), Patricia's writing is impecable. Her books never fail to keep the adrenaline pumping. A must buy! (and I'm not even getting commission for this free endorsement, folks!) ;)

God, I need to find time to vist my 'old pals' - Borders, Kinokuniya, MPH or Times to grab these books, while stock last ...

No comments: